The Land Use Bureau is a division of the Office of Operations. It is responsible for planning and zoning enforcement and environmental protection in Stamford.

What do we do?

The Land Use Bureau has the following tasks:

  1. To regulate land use and buildings in Stamford through Zoning.
  2. To regulate development in or near wetlands, flood-prone or coastal areas
  3. To administer the City’s Community Development
  4. To provide geographic information services and other data to City agencies and the public;
  5. To plan for the future of the City through the Master Plan and the Capital Budget.

Who do we work with?

The Land Use Bureau works with homeowners and developers who wish to get a building permit for work done on their property. In many instances, building permits require sign off from the Land Use Bureau's Zoning Enforcement and Environmental Protection divisions. View more on how to apply for a building permit in Stamford.

The Land Use Bureau also provides technical support to the following Boards:

  • Zoning Board. The Zoning Board reviews site plans and applications for changes to the City's Zoning Text, Zoning Map and certain special exceptions, as defined per the Zoning Regulations.
  • Planning Board. The Planning Board drafts, approves and the City's Master Plan and makes sure that all Zoning Text and Map changes conform with the Master Plan. The Planning Board also is part of the City's Capital Budget process and approves application for subdivisions.
  • Zoning Board of Appeals. The Zoning Board of Appeals grants variances to existing Zoning if it finds that a hardship significantly inhibits the development of a property. It also grants certain Special Exceptions, pursuant to the City's Zoning Regulations.
  • Environmental Protection Board. In accordance with Federal, State and Local regulations, the Environmental Protection Board regulates local inland Wetlands and Watercourses, serves as the local Conservation Commission and acts as the local Flood and Erosion Control Board.

When should you talk to us?

You should contact the Land Use Bureau if you want to know more about what your property is zoned for and what kind of buildings and uses are allowed in your zone. If you want to apply for a building permit you should consult with the Buildings Department first to see if you have to get sign-offs from Zoning Enforcement or the Environmental Protection Board. View more about applying for a building permit.

You should also contact us if you would like to apply for Site Plan Review, change of the Zoning Map, of Zoning Text, a Variance or Special Exception. You will find more information about these types of applications in the Forms and Procedures Section of this website.

Department Staff

Planning and Zoning

Blessing, RalphLand Use Bureau Chief(203) 977-4711
Varamo, JohnPlanning Analyst (203) 977-4718
Briscoe, TracySecretary to the Zoning Board(203) 977-4719
Capp, LesleySecretary to the Planning Board(203) 977-4076
Cohen, LindseyAssociate Planner(203) 977-4388
Judge, MaryZoning Board of Appeals - Office Administrator (203) 977-5704
Mathur, VineetaPrincipal Planner(203) 977-4716
McKenna, ErinSenior Parks Planner(203) 977-4715

Environmental Protection Board

Chapman, JaclynEnvironmental Analyst(203) 977-4065
Clausi, RobertExecutive Director(203) 977-4965
Fahan, CourtneyOSS - EPB(203) 977-4160
Fausty, PamelaEnvironmental Analyst(203) 977-4028
Tomaszewski, LindsayEnvironmental Analyst(203) 977-5460

Geographic Information Systems (GIS)

Barber, CindyGIS Head(203) 977-5360
DeSanti, MatthewGIS Technician(203) 977-4106
Patterrson, AndrewGIS Analyst(203) 977-5349

Housing & Community Development

No results found.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer